Public and AdministrativeSecurities Litigation
Lenczner Slaght's lawyers help clients navigate complex litigation matters involving all levels of government and the public-sector bureaucracy. We have acted as counsel for all levels of government, for government agencies and Crown corporations and for companies conducting business with governments and their agencies, as well as for individuals and organizations dealing with specific regulators and/or overall regulatory regimes.
Our lawyers combine a deep knowledge of the workings of government with expertise in a broad range of relevant areas, from the nuances of judicial review applications to constitutional issues and questions under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. From conducting a successful fraud trial on behalf of a major public sector institution to arguing appeals before the Supreme Court of Canada on constitutional matters, we have the experience and credibility in court to successfully represent clients in public sector disputes. We bring decades of relevant experience to challenging the decisions of public bodies through the courts – and to working effectively on our clients' behalf with governments at the municipal, provincial, territorial and federal levels.
The scope of Lenczner Slaght's public law expertise includes:
- legislative counsel to all levels of government on the application of current laws and the implications of new or amended legislation
- litigation on behalf on individuals, organizations or the Crown in matters involving the Crown
- commercial litigation regarding contractual disputes between companies and the Crown
- counsel on municipal regulatory matters, including practical advice on obtaining approvals, as well as litigation support to resolve disputes before municipal councils or the courts
- counsel on information security and privacy matters, including notification of data breaches and complaints to the federal and provincial privacy commissioners
Our lawyers appear regularly before bodies such as the Ontario Securities Commission, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, and municipal bodies. We routinely act as both Commission counsel and for parties in commission of inquiry. We also provide advice to individuals, companies, Crown corporations, government departments/agencies and others bodies on matters relating to professional liability, human rights, competition, communications and the environment.