EmploymentInsolvency and Restructuring
Lenczner Slaght provides expert counsel in employment litigation to organizations of all sizes, acting on their behalf in disputes and helping to establish effective corporate policies and practices.
Our lawyers' deep grasp of current employment issues and emerging trends is backed by their successful track record in presenting cases at all levels of the courts, before regulatory bodies and in mediation or arbitration.
We understand the priorities of human resources professionals and are ready to deliver prompt, practical advice in the face of rapidly developing challenges. We also draw upon our extensive litigation experience to identify potential issues before they become problems, minimizing the risk of future legal action. And in the event that a dispute does arise, we have the negotiation and courtroom skills to guide the matter to a successful resolution – while respecting the unique values and culture of a client's organization.
Our focus is on complex employment law disputes, including terminations of executives, employee fraud, disputes involving departing employees who take confidential information to a competitor, and employment law class actions. However, working with a wide range of Canadian employers, as well as U.S.-based and other international companies operating in Canada, Lenczner Slaght provides expert support across the spectrum of employment issues, including:
- Employment strategy, policies and practices – proactive guidance on all aspects of planning and implementation, including analysis of specific hiring and firing scenarios, with the goal of minimizing litigation risk
- Employments standards – advice on current legal requirements, as well as representation before regulatory tribunals
- Restrictive covenants – assessment and litigation of non-solicitation and non-competition obligations for departing employees
- Confidentiality – address the misappropriation of corporate confidential information, including coordination of electronic forensic investigations
- Wrongful dismissal – expert counsel through every stage of a dispute, from initial response to courtroom proceedings
- Workplace management – preemptive guidance in all areas that have legal ramifications, including investigations of misconduct and resulting disciplinary actions; human rights, sexual harassment and discrimination issues; disability and other insurance claims; and occupational health and safety concerns, including violence in the workplace.