Our lawyers are distinguished by their wealth of litigation experience – gained through regular appearances in all levels of the courts, before administrative and regulatory tribunals, as well as mediation and arbitration. Lenczner Slaght partners, ranked among the best of their peers nationally, lead a recruitment and mentoring program that attracts gifted litigators who are committed to upholding the highest professional standards.
From commercial disputes and class actions to cross-border matters and professional regulation, we bring expert strategy – backed by rigorous research, data management and administrative support – to highly demanding cases in all litigation practice areas.
For the 18th consecutive year, Lenczner Slaght has been ranked by Chambers Global 2020 for its dispute resolution expertise alongside notable full-service, national and international firms.
In addition to the firm's ranking, four of our preeminent litigators are also recognized:
- Sana Halwani (Intellectual Property: Litigation)
- Peter Griffin (Dispute Resolution)
- Tom Curry (Dispute Resolution)
- Ian Binnie (Dispute Resolution: Most In Demand Arbitrators)
Clients had this to say about our firm:
“They are tremendous, thoughtful and measured in what they do.”
“They made something that is difficult and contentious really seamless, and did an excellent job."
"They are a very talented group. Their client services are extraordinary. They are masters of strategic thinking, planning and execution."
After extensive research and interviews with firm clients and legal professionals across Canada, Chambers Canada 2020 highlights Lenczner Slaght’s expertise in the following areas:
- Dispute Resolution: Class Actions (Defence) (Nationwide – Canada)
- Healthcare (Nationwide – Canada)
- Litigation: General Commercial (Nationwide – Canada)
- Litigation: General Commercial (Ontario)
- Intellectual Property (Nationwide – Canada)
- Insurance: Dispute Resolution (Nationwide – Canada)
- Litigation: Securities (Ontario)
In addition to the firm’s rankings, 13 Lenczner Slaght lawyers are ranked as some of the top litigators in their field for their exceptional expertise and knowledge.
- Sana Halwani – Intellectual Property: Litigation (Nationwide – Canada)
- Shara N. Roy – Litigation: Securities (Ontario)
- Monique Jilesen – Litigation: General Commercial (Ontario)
- Risa Kirshblum – Healthcare (Nationwide – Canada)
- Matthew Sammon – Healthcare (Nationwide – Canada)
- Lawrence E. Thacker – Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (Nationwide – Canada)
- Tom Curry – Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence) (Nationwide – Canada); Healthcare (Nationwide – Canada); Litigation: General Commercial (Ontario)
- William C. McDowell – Litigation: Administrative & Public Law (Ontario)
- Peter Griffin – Dispute Resolution: Class Action (Defence) (Nationwide – Canada); Litigation: General Commercial (Ontario); Litigation: Securities (Ontario)
- Glenn Smith – Insurance: Dispute Resolution (Nationwide – Canada)
- Ronald Slaght – Litigation: General Commercial (Ontario); Dispute Resolution: Most in Demand Arbitrators (Nationwide – Canada)
- Alan Lenczner – Litigation: General Commercial (Ontario)
- Ian Binnie – Dispute Resolution: Most in Demand Arbitrators (Nationwide – Canada)
Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory
The 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory recognizes the professional excellence of 24 lawyers at Lenczner Slaght, who have been ranked among Canada's best in the annual peer-based ratings conducted by Lexpert, a leading source of news and information about the Canadian legal profession.
The following Lenczner Slaght lawyers have been selected through peer surveys as leading practitioners in their field: Ian Binnie, C.C., Q.C., Alan J. Lenczner, Ronald G. Slaght, Glenn Smith, Peter Griffin, Tom Curry, William C. McDowell, Peter Osborne, Anne Posno, Lawrence Thacker, Risa Kirshblum, Mark Veneziano, Nina Bombier, Monique Jilesen, Eli Lederman, Matthew Sammon, Rebecca Jones, Jaan Lilles, Shara Roy, Dena Varah, Sana Halwani, Matthew B. Lerner, Paul-Erik Veel and Brian Kolenda.
Our leading lawyers are recognized for their expertise across 15 different practice areas, including Class Actions, Commercial Arbitration, Commercial Insurance Litigation, Corporate Commercial Litigation, Defamation & Media Litigation, Directors’ & Officers’ Liability Litigation, Estate & Personal Tax Planning, Insolvency & Restructuring, Intellectual Property, Intellectual Property Litigation, Medical Negligence, Personal Injury, Professional Liability, Public Law Litigation, and Securities Litigation.
Also in this directory, Lexpert has once again placed Lenczner Slaght at the centre of the Bulls Eye – its highest possible rating for a litigation practice.
Long venerated as a "litigator's dream shop," Toronto's Lenczner Slaght remains "virtually unchallenged for the depth of its trial-tested talent pool." Recognized in the 2019 Benchmark Canada rankings are the following leading litigators:
Interviewed by Benchmark Litigation in 2017, a peer raves, "In that entire team, I haven't seen anything even closely resembling a weak link. They are a full-tilt onslaught of litigation talent, but mixed with civility. These are people that it's a pleasure to litigate against; it's hard-fought, elbows-up stuff but all throughout there is not one moment where you wonder if this is what you want to be doing with the rest of your life."
Lenczner Slaght was again recognized as one of Canada's Top 10 litigation boutiques in the latest annual review published by Canadian Lawyer magazine.
IAM Patent 1000
IAM Patent 1000, the guide to leading private practice patent professionals and firms, is dedicated to recognizing best-in-class patent prosecution, licensing and litigation practitioners on a global basis.
After a comprehensive qualitative research process that included peer and client feedback, Lenczner Slaght is ranked once again in the silver level by IAM Patent 1000. In addition, outstanding leading litigator, Sana Halwani (Bronze), is also recognized.
Best Lawyers in Canada
Best Lawyers in Canada is an annual guide to the international legal profession.
Since the annual peer ratings were inaugurated in Canada in 2006, Lenczner Slaght has been recognized for the excellence of its practitioners in a wide range of areas.
The 2020 Best Lawyers in Canada guide recognizes the following Lenczner Slaght lawyers: Ian Binnie, Alan J. Lenczner, Ronald G. Slaght, Glenn Smith, Peter Griffin, Tom Curry, William C. McDowell, Peter J. Osborne, Anne E. Posno, Lawrence E. Thacker, Risa M. Kirshblum, Mark A. Veneziano, Nina Bombier, Monique Jilesen, Eli S. Lederman, Matthew Sammon, Rebecca Jones, Colin Johnston, Jaan Lilles, Shara N. Roy, Dena N. Varah, Sana Halwani, Matthew B. Lerner, Andrew Parley, Paul-Erik Veel, Ian MacLeod, Andrew Porter, and Brendan F. Morrison.
In addition to the rankings, Lenczner Slaght was named Law Firm of the Year in Appellate Practice once again.
Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers
The 2019 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada recognizes leading lawyers who have significant expertise in cross-border cases. The rankings are a result of peer review surveys completed by senior members of the legal profession.
The Lenczner Slaght lawyers that are Most Frequently Recommended for their cross-border expertise in Dispute Resolution include:
Lexpert/ROB Special Edition: Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers
The 2019 Lexpert/ROB Special Edition: Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers guide recognizes 15 Lenczner Slaght lawyers for their extensive courtroom experience.
The rankings, determined by an in-depth peer review process, are also published in the December 2019 issue of the Globe and Mail’s Report on Business magazine.
The following prominent litigators are ranked:
Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Based on extensive peer surveys, the bull's-eye charts are created using a complex point system that identifies lawyers who have been consistently cited as leaders in their areas of practice. Lenczner Slaght has held the centre position since the bull's-eye introduction in 2002 by Lexpert, a leading source of news and information about the Canadian legal profession.
Furthermore, the following 11 expert litigators are recognized for their litigation excellence. They are ranked by the 2020 Lexpert/ALM 500 Guide as the “Most Frequently Recommended” lawyers in their respective fields.
- Sana Halwani – Intellectual Property, Intellectual Property Litigation
- Shara N. Roy – Corporate Commercial Litigation, Securities Litigation
- Eli S. Lederman – Corporate Commercial Litigation
- Monique Jilesen – Corporate Commercial Litigation
- Peter J. Osborne – Corporate Commercial Litigation
- William C. McDowell – Corporate Commercial Litigation
- Tom Curry – Corporate Commercial Litigation; Directors' and Officers' Liability Litigation; Securities Litigation
- Peter Griffin – Class Actions; Corporate Commercial Litigation; Directors’ & Officers’ Liability Litigation, Securities Litigation
- Ronald G. Slaght – Corporate Commercial Litigation
- Alan J. Lenczner – Corporate Commercial Litigation
- Ian Binnie – Arbitration; Corporate Commercial Litigation
Legal 500 Canada
Based on comprehensive research, client feedback, and interviews with leading lawyers in the industry, Lenczner Slaght is once again ranked in Tier 1 for Dispute Resolution, as well as recognized for their expertise in Insurance, Restructuring and Insolvency, Intellectual Property, and Labour and Employment.
Legal 500 had this to say about our expert litigators:
Litigation powerhouse Lenczner Slaght LLP is a leader both in the Ontario and nationwide, though the team also secures a significant volume of multi-jurisdictional mandates. Distinguished in part by its deep bench and first-class trial experience, the Toronto boutique routinely appears at all levels of the courts, before administrative and regulatory tribunals and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings. Peter Griffin is highlighted by many as the leading litigator in Canada and presides over the firm’s most complex cases. Managing partner Tom Curry also has an impressive track record, with strong recent showings in regulatory law matters and class actions. Other senior names include Alan Lenczner QC, Ronald Slaght QC and Peter Osborne. Up-and-coming partner Monique Jilesen has been singled out as one of the leading litigators of her generation.
Litigation boutique Lenczner Slaght LLP is a strong performer in contentious insurance mandates. The team handles the full scope of policy, coverage and defence cases, with expertise in class action defence, disputed directors’ and officers’ liability, environmental claims, product liability and professional negligence. A key figure in the practice group is Glenn Smith, who focuses on product liability and complex insurance litigation.
Toronto litigation boutique Lenczner Slaght LLP houses a compact but effective IP practice, which is routinely involved in patent and trademark disputes. The group distinguishes itself through its strong trial experience, particularly on the patent side, where department head Sana Halwani is highly regarded for her advocacy skills.
Restructuring and Insolvency
Heavyweight litigation boutique Lenczner Slaght LLP is highly sought after for advice on complex, contentious insolvencies. The firm has broad experience in representing creditors, debtors and court-appointed officers in court-supervised restructuring proceedings and related litigation. Peter Osborne and Matthew Lerner are the key contacts.
Labour and Employment
Litigation firm Lenczner Slaght LLP focuses on complex labour and employment disputes, including termination cases, employee fraud, confidentiality issues, and employment class actions. Key contacts include Matthew Sammon, who specializes in employment litigation and workplace investigations, and Matthew Lerner, who represents both employers and employees in high-stakes litigation.
About the Legal 500
The Legal 500 rankings are based on a series of criteria that recognize the practice area teams who provide the most cutting edge and innovative advice to corporate counsel. The research is based on feedback from 300,000 clients worldwide, submissions from law firms and interviews with leading private practice lawyers, and a team of researchers who have unrivalled experience in the legal market.
Who's Who Legal
In the latest edition of Who's Who Legal: Canada, Lenczner Slaght achieves six recognitions in the Litigation chapter, with a total of ten expert litigators ranked.
The following Lenczner Slaght lawyers are recognized:
- Sana Halwani – Life Sciences, Patents
- Shara N. Roy – Restructuring & Insolvency
- Sarah Millar – E-Discovery Practitioners
- Monique Jilesen – Litigation
- Peter J. Osborne – Restructuring & Insolvency
- William C. McDowell – Litigation
- Tom Curry – Litigation
- Peter Griffin – Litigation, Restructuring & Insolvency
- Ronald G. Slaght – Litigation
- Alan J. Lenczner – Litigation
The following outstanding Lenczner Slaght lawyers are also ranked in Who's Who Legal: Litigation.
About Who’s Who Legal: Canada
Who's Who Legal: Canada is an annually published directory of leading Canadian lawyers across 35 areas of business law, based on comprehensive peer review surveys and interviews with general counsel and lawyers in private practice.